Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Clonmacnoise - Temple Connor Church
 

County

Offaly

Coordinates

N 53° 19' 36.78"   W 007° 59' 10.08"

Nearest town

Shannonbridge

Grid Ref.

N 00923 30737

Map No.

47

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

46

Date of visit

Wednesday 20 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
Temple Connor has a modern look when compared to the other monuments at Clonmacnoise. Seen from the southeast, with Temple Finghin and McCarthy's Round Tower in the background.


Clonmacnoise lies in a meander on the left bank of River Shannon, and it is one of the oldest early Christian settlements in Europe.

St. Ciarán along with Diarmait Uí Cerbaill founded it around 544 and he chose a central site in Ireland, at the crossroads of the main Irish river and the Esker Riada, the geological gravel and sand formation that stretches east-west across Ireland, so that the new monastery could be accessed from everywhere.
It soon became an important centre for studying religion and it attracted scholars and pupils from all over Europe, and grew into a large monastic city. It was also an important centre for craftmanship and trade.

In its best period it had up to 17 churches, but today only 7 of them survive in ruins. Along with these ruins, there are also three crosses and two round towers, one of which attached to a church.

This small church is north of the Cathedral, and halfway between O'Rourke Round Tower and Temple Finghin.

It's the only church in the complex to be still in use and its modern look makes it almost unnoticed.
It was built around 1200, but the only two elements that date to that time are the west (270°) doorway and a small round-headed window in the south wall.

The church is a place of worship for the Church of Ireland since the 18th century, it was heavily restored in the 19th century and again in the early 20th century.
On the north side of the church, adjoining the north wall, is the large tomb for the Malone family.

We came to Clonmacnoise for the first time on July 4th, 1994, and again on May 18th, 2002.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7464875

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter