Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Clonmacnoise - O'Rourke Round Tower Round Tower
 

County

Offaly

Coordinates

N 53° 19' 35.22"   W 007° 59' 11.7"

Nearest town

Shannonbridge

Grid Ref.

N 00893 30689

Map No.

47

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

49

Date of visit

Wednesday 20 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The round tower seen from the east-northeast.


Clonmacnoise lies in a meander on the left bank of River Shannon, and it is one of the oldest early Christian settlements in Europe.

St. Ciarán along with Diarmait Uí Cerbaill founded it around 544 and he chose a central site in Ireland, at the crossroads of the main Irish river and the Esker Riada, the geological gravel and sand formation that stretches east-west across Ireland, so that the new monastery could be accessed from everywhere.
It soon became an important centre for studying religion and it attracted scholars and pupils from all over Europe, and grew into a large monastic city. It was also an important centre for craftmanship and trade.

In its best period it had up to 17 churches, but today only 7 of them survive in ruins. Along with these ruins, there are also three crosses and two round towers, one of which attached to a church.

The round tower is at the far west side of the settlement, within the new boundary wall. It seems, though, it was outside the original enclosure when it was built by Turlough O'Connor, King of Connacht, and Gilla Christ O'Malone, abbot of Clonmacnoise, in 1124, but it seems the tower was a little unlucky because its top was struck and blown off by a lightining in 1135. The top was rebuilt and 8 new slit windows were inserted.
Its bell was stolen by the English soldiers in 1552.
It is about 19.5 metres tall, with a diameter of about 5.5 metres. It has a round-headed doorway at about 3.5 metres from the ground on the southeast side.
Two rectangular windows are on the south and north-northeast sides, on the third and fourth floor respectively.
The name O'Rourke derives from Fergal O'Rourke, King of Connacht in the 10th century, long before the tower was built.

We came to Clonmacnoise for the first time on July 4th, 1994, and again on May 18th, 2002.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7446653

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter