Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
St. Mary's Holy Well
 

County

Mayo

Coordinates

N 54° 10' 07.62"   W 009° 08' 40.5"

Nearest town

Killala

Grid Ref.

G 25263 25032

Map No.

24

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

5

Date of visit

Thursday 25 June 2015

GPS Accuracy (m)

2
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The large site where the holy well is.


Not far from Rosserk Friary there's a large car park. From here a path which is 500 metres long leads to this amazing site, a holy well with 7 stations around.
The well is under a small stone house with a tiny low doorway in the west (285°) wall. The water of the well leaves the house and creates an idyllic spot. A tree has grown on the well house and a hole in the roof of the house allows it to reach the daylight. At its branches people use to hang some personal items.
Two black slabs are set into the south wall of the well house.
One reads that the Chapel was built by John Lynett of Roserk (sic) in 1798 to honour the Blessed Virgin.
The second slab reads almost the same, it's in Latin and bears the date 1634.
Inside the house the clear water occupies the whole plan. Three little statues of the Virgin have been placed on some stones.
The ground around the holy well is very soft.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8312374

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter