Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Lislaughtin Friary Church
 

County

Kerry

Coordinates

N 52° 33' 26.1"   W 009° 28' 11.9"

Nearest town

Ballylongford

Grid Ref.

R 00352 46073

Map No.

64

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

12

Date of visit

Tuesday 10 June 2014

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the friary seen from the southeast.


An early monastery was founded here in 622 by St. Lachtin, from whom the medieval friary took its name.
The construction of the friary began in 1464 under the patronage of John O'Connor Kerry and in 1477 it was consecrated by indult of Pope Sixtus IV.
In April 1580 the English forces arrived to this area and began their raids and attacks. The first siege was to the O'Connor castle at Carrigafoyle castle, 2 kilometres northwest from here, where the English sacked the castle and killed the defenders. After the castle they directed their attention to the friary. The friars fled and carried away with them all they could, but three of them, three elderly men, remained in the church where they looked for shelter and refuge but they were found and killed by the soldiers who, subsequently, plundered the place.
The friary was abandoned but remained in use, though intermittently, until 1629.
The friary had a plain structure, with a church, a cloister, domestic buildings and a central tower that has completely gone. Most of the structure has been destroyed during the years.
The church has an intact four-light window in the east (100°) wall. The chancel has three south windows and a triple sedilia in its south wall. In the north wall a doorway leads to the sacristy and the domestic buildings.
The nave to the west has a pointed arch doorway and a small window above it. Two niche tombs are in the north wall of the nave. A doorway is in the southwall.
There's a south transept with a fine four-light window and a large archway in its west wall and a two-light window and a doorway in its east wall. Two ambries are in the south and east walls. An ambry is a recess in the wall to hold and protect sacred vessels used during religious ceremonies.
Domestic buildings and the cloister were in the north section of the friary, but nothing remains of the cloister.
There's still the gateway to the complex, but it's now part of the nearby farm and not accessible.

We came here for the first time on May 15th, 2000.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8767650

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter