St. Mary's Abbey Church




N 53° 57' 12.2"   W 006° 32' 38.9"

Nearest town


Grid Ref.

H 95627 01425

Map No.


Elevation a.s.l. (m)


Date of visit

Friday 30 May 2014

GPS Accuracy (m)

Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

The romantic grassy path that leads to the ruins of the abbey.

This is a huge ruined church. The first time that we came here was on September 8th, 2003 and we were impressed mainly by its size, it's extremely long. Though it's not particularly looked after it has something intriguing.
What we can see here are the remains of a building built over the ruins of an earlier church destroyed by a fire in 1312. This earlier church was in the Romanesque style as some remnants built into the present church may suggest, and it was likely built in 1148 under the power of Donough O'Cearbhaill, king of Oirghiall, and Aodh O'Ceallaidh, Bishop of Louth, and dedicated to St. Mary.
Louth Village was a focal point for the religious community and the diocese. The Augustinian Provincial Chapter was convened here in 1242 when the relics of St. Mochta were brought here from Rome. In 1325 the General Chapter of Augustinian Canons was held here, and the church had been completed for the occasion.
The monastery was suppressed during the Reformation in the 1535 and the abbey became a Church of Ireland church until its destruction by Cromwell's army.
The abbey is in the heart of Louth village and is accessed along a wide and grassy path.
The building has a doorway in the south (200°) wall which has plenty of large windows, one of them has hints of a lost tracery, like the east and west windows, now partially walled up. The north wall is quite plain and featureless.
The graveyard on its south and east side has some interesting gravestones and also a vaulted family tomb through which iron gate it's possible to see some long human bones.
About 60 metres to the west is the St. Mochta's House.

Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map


The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies


What's NEW?


Site view counter: 23277080

Copyright © 1994-2024 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.


Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015