Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Christ Church Cathedral Church
 

County

Dublin

Coordinates

N 53° 20' 35.6"   W 006° 16' 16.0"

Nearest town

Dublin

Grid Ref.

O 15182 33928

Map No.

50

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

36

Date of visit

Sunday 25 May 2014

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The Cathedral seen from the southeast.


The building of this Cathedral began in 1028, following the pilgrimage to Rome by Sigtrygg Silkbeard, the Hiberno-Norse king of Dublin at that time. Originally it was a timber building and its formal name was the Cathedral of the Holy Trinity. Its first abbot was Dúnán. His successor introduced the Benedectines in the cathedral, and in 1163 it was converted into a priory for the Regular Order of the arrosian Canons. A few years later Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, also known as Strongbow, along with other wealthy Normans, helped to fund a full rebuilding of the church in stone to replace the timber structure. During the rebuilding it was decided to add a choir, two aisles, the transepts and the crypt. At his death, Richard de Clare was interred in the cathedral.
The foundations of the nave, though, were sitting on a peat bed and in 1562 this part of the church slipped on a side and brought the south wall and the arched stone roof down with it. The tomb of Strongbow was destroyed under the collapsed building.
The cathedral was partially rebuilt in the following years, but the most extensive restoration was carried out after 1871 when several sections of the church were completely rebuilt.
The current Strongbow's tomb is a replacement and apparently it doesn't show the real effigy of the Lord of Leinster, nor does it show him in his coat of arms. The remains of Richard de Clare were translated and buried in the graveyard of the cathedral of Ferns.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7476820

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter