Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Belvelly Castle
 

County

Cork

Coordinates

N 51° 53' 17.2"   W 008° 18' 09.0"

Nearest town

Cobh

Grid Ref.

W 79219 70642

Map No.

80

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

4

Date of visit

Thursday 20 June 2013

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
Belvelly castle seen from the northwest.


This tower house is at close distance from Cobh on the L2989 road. Unfortunately it's closed, it's a private property and a written permission from the owner is required to access it.
This castle was built by the Hodnett family (originated from Shropshire) in the 14th century. In 1581 the castle was taken over by Sir Walter Raileigh who found it in ruinous conditions and carried out major works and many changes to turn it into a modern castle for that time.
In 1636 it came into the possession of the de Barry family and in 1647 Roger Boyle, 1st Earl of Broghill, garrisoned his troops during the Irish Confederate War.
The tower house is about 9 metres wide at the base, and it's about 22 metres tall. It has 5 windows, one of which is walled up, and a large number of slit windows. The entrance is in the northwest (300°) wall. Judging by the fact that through the top floor windows the sky is visible, the castle must be roofless.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8295920

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter