Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
St. Carthach's Cathedral Church
 

County

Waterford

Coordinates

N 52° 08' 22.3"   W 007° 55' 46.0"

Nearest town

Lismore

Grid Ref.

X 04880 98576

Map No.

81

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

46

Date of visit

Thursday 20 June 2013

GPS Accuracy (m)

5
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The St. Carthach's Cathedral in Lismore.


St. Mo Chutu mac Fínaill, also known as St. Carthach, arrived here with his monks in 635, only two years before his death, established a monastery and founded the town of Lismore. Throughout the 8th and 9th century this monastery was known as the University of Lismore and monks from all over Europe came here to study.
Vikings attacked the place several times in 812 and eventually the wooden church was destroyed. The only remains from that time are the memorial stones that today we can see set into the West Wall of the Cathedral.
New buildings were built on the site of the wooden one during the 12th and 13th centuries, but they were also destroyed.
In 1633 Sir Richard Boyle, owner of Lismore Castle, had the chancel rebuilt, but the rest of the Cathedral wasn't repaired until 1660's because of the presence of Oliver Cromwell's troops in the area.
In the early 19th century Sir Richard Morrison, architect, had the chancel rebuilt and reconstructed the windows in neo-gothic style. He also added fine ornaments on the ceiling.
The last addition to the Cathedral is the spire erected in 1827 by the Pain Brothers.
In the west section of the church, along with the memorial stones, is the McGrath Tomb from the 16th century, finely decorated with figures of the Twelve Apostles, the Virgin Mary, the Four Evangelists, St. Carthach, St. Catherine and St. Patrick on the side panels, and an effigy of Pope Gregory the Great, the resurrection of Christ and other religious symbols on the covering slab.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7433715

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter