Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Castledermot Friary Church
 

County

Kildare

Coordinates

N 52° 54' 31.1"   W 006° 50' 12.5"

Nearest town

Castledermot

Grid Ref.

S 78310 84794

Map No.

61

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

86

Date of visit

Friday 14 September 2012

GPS Accuracy (m)

4
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the friary are in the town of Castledermot, along Abbey Street, you can't miss them. That wooden pole could have been placed somewhere else!


Though the origins of this church may be much older, the first mention of this Franciscan Friary is of 1247, when the Justiciary of Ireland John Fitz Geoffrey, upon request of the King, granted 15 marks (one mark was equal to two thirds of a pound) to the local community for the erection of the building.
The Scottish army of Edward Bruce attacked the village of Castledermot and destroyed the friary in 1317, but it was soon repaired and extended with the addition of a north aisle and a north transept with its huge north window and its three east chapels. In the same period the north tower might have been added.

While we were visiting the friary we met a hen. She was most probably lost and visibly scared by the fact she couldn't find her way back home.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7435626

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter