Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Ardcroney Church
 

County

Tipperary

Coordinates

N 52° 56' 04.5"   W 008° 09' 20.0"

Nearest town

Nenagh

Grid Ref.

R 89589 87060

Map No.

59

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

60

Date of visit

Saturday 5 June 2010

GPS Accuracy (m)

5
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

   
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The tower house seen from the north. The vaulted ceiling of the ground floor is visible.


Just off the N52, in the village of Ardcroney, behind the Post Office, is an ancient graveyard with the ruins of a church with an adjoining tower house.
The area was an early Medieval monastic site under the protection of O'hOgain family. The family descended from Cosgrach, who died in 942, second son of Lorcáin, king of Thomond, who was the grandfather of Brian Bórumha mac Cennétig (Brian Boru), the last High King of Ireland, and were chiefs of Crioch Cian, a territory halfway between the modern Nenagh and Borrisokane.
Sometime during the Medieval period Ardcroney became a manor belonging to the Bishop of Killaloe, the O'hOgain family continued to live here as erenachs.
This family gave four bishops to the diocese of Killaloe, Mathgamin O'hOgain (1268-1281), Mauricius O'hOgain (1282-1298), Tomas O'hOgain (1343-1354) and Richard O’Hogan (1525-1538).

The church, which dates to the 12th century, in origin was a nave only building with a window in the south wall. Four centuries later it was rebuilt as a chancel and nave church with a chancel arch between the two sections. The chancel is aligned to the northeast (70°). The adjoining tower house at the southwest end was the home of the O'hOgains, it is four storeys high and had a spiral staircase. The ground floor had a vaulted ceiling.
The complex is about 20 metres long and about 7 metres wide.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7479538

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter