Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Dunbrody Abbey Church
 

County

Wexford

Coordinates

N 52° 17' 00.7"   W 006° 57' 32.3"

Nearest town

Campile

Grid Ref.

S 71093 15109

Map No.

76

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

15

Date of visit

Friday 28 May 2010

GPS Accuracy (m)

6
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
   
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The abbey seen from the road. There's a 150 metres long footpath to the ruins.


We already visited this abbey on June 2nd, 2001, but this time we stopped and took some new photos and the coordinates.
Dunbrody abbey was a Cistercian monastery. It measures 59 metres of length and it's one of the longest churches in Ireland. The construction of the Dunbrody abbey began in 1170 upon the request of Richard de Clare, 2nd Earl of Pembroke, also known as Strongbow, and was conducted by Herve de Montmorency (his uncle), following the Norman invasion of Ireland. It was completed in 1220, but additions to the original plan continued for some years. The tower was added in 15th century.
Herve de Montmorency granted the lands to the monks of Bildewas in Shropshire (England), provided that they should build the abbey for some monks of the Cistercian, or White Order (they wore white robes), and provided that there should be a Sanctuary in the abbey for all malefactors.
The church is dedicated to "St. Mary the ever Blessed Virgin, and St. Benedict" and it has sometimes been called the Abbey of St. Mary de Port, for the refuge it contained by the express condition of its founder.
Herve de Montmorency was the first abbot of Dunbrody, died in 1205, at the age of 75, and was buried in the abbey.
The abbey's end started when Alexander Devereux, the last abbot of Dunbrody, granted the Abbey and all its possessions to the king, his heirs and successors, in 1542. Alexander Devereux changed religion, and became the Bishop of Ferns. The lands and abbey then came into the possession of the Etchingham family. In 1642, Jane Etchingham, the heiress, married the second Earl of Donegall, whose descendants (Chichester family) own the lands to this day.
The access to the abbey is granted in some hours of the day during the Summer. When we visited the place the office was already closed so we had to visit it from the outside.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7436215

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter