Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Tintern Abbey Church
 

County

Wexford

Coordinates

N 52° 14' 12.0"   W 006° 50' 16.8"

Nearest town

Wellingtonbridge

Grid Ref.

S 79434 10018

Map No.

76

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

9

Date of visit

Friday 28 May 2010

GPS Accuracy (m)

6
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
  
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The abbey from the car park.


We already tried to visit this abbey on June 2nd, 2001, but at that time the abbey was closed to the visitors for the foot-and-mouth disease.
We only took a photo or two from the car park and went away.
The Tintern abbey was founded in the 13th century by William Marshall, 2nd Earl of Pembroke. While he was sailing to Ireland he encountered a storm and his ship was about to be wrecked. He vowed to found a monastery if he had landed safe and sound whatever place it was. He reached the Bannow estuary and true to his vow he acquired about 9,000 acres of land to found a Cistercian abbey.
The abbey was colonized by the monks called from the Cistercian abbey at Tintern in Monmouthshire, Wales, of which Marshall was also patron.
To distinguish the two abbeys, the mother house in Wales was sometimes known as "Tintern Major" and the newly founded abbey in Ireland as "Tintern de Voto" (Latin for Tintern of the vow).
After its foundation, Tintern acquired large plots of land in county Wexford and at the Dissolution of the Monasteries, in 1530's, it seems to have been the third richest Cistercian abbey in Ireland (after St. Mary's in Dublin and Mellifont).
Shortly after, Tintern Abbey and its lands were granted to Anthony Colclough from Staffordshire, an officer in Henry VIII's army.
The Colclough family extensively modified the abbey church, converting the crossing tower and later, the nave, the chancel and the Lady Chapel to domestic quarters. In the 18th century Sir Vesey Colclough built many of the fine battlemented walls that we can see around the abbey today.
The tower has a modern timber staircase leading to the upper floor, but the rest of the tower is unaccessible. The windows of the former chancel had been internally decorated with beautiful ecclesiastic figures originally placed somewhere else in the church.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7436249

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter