Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Carlow Castle
 

County

Carlow

Coordinates

N 52° 50' 10.3"   W 006° 56' 10.4"

Nearest town

Carlow

Grid Ref.

S 71741 76631

Map No.

61

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

67

Date of visit

Thursday 27 May 2010

GPS Accuracy (m)

7
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
   
PREVIOUS      NEXT
One of the two towers and part of the surviving wall seen from the southeast.


The Carlow castle is in the centre of the town of Carlow, close to the river Barrow. It was probably built in the 13th century by William Marshall, the successor to Richard de Clare, known as Strongbow, to the throne of Lord of Leinster. Some decades later the castle was passed to Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk, but it had several more owners in its history. One of them was a certain doctor Middleton, who decided to blow up a major part of the castle in 1814 to build a lunatic asylum.
Today only half of the donjon survives, the main section of the castle which contained the principal rooms of the castle, protected by two circular towers at the corners. The two towers have a diameter of about 8 metres and are 13 metres apart. The wall between them faces west-southwest. The towers are padlocked and only the pigeons dwell in them.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7475469

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter