Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Ballyloughan Castle
 

County

Carlow

Coordinates

N 52° 40' 22.0"   W 006° 53' 53.0"

Nearest town

Bagenalstown

Grid Ref.

S 74595 58493

Map No.

68

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

98

Date of visit

Saturday 23 June 2007

GPS Accuracy (m)

10
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The remains of the castle seen from the private road south of ruins. On the left of the photo is the southwest corner tower, the gatehouse is next to it, and the 17th century building is in the background.


Ballyloughan Castle was built by a local Anglo-Norman lord in the 13th century. It consisted of a huge walled courtyard. The curtain wall measured about 60 metres east-west, and 55 metres north-south. It had four square corner towers and a large gatehouse in the centre of the south-southeast (165°) wall. The entrance in the gatehouse was flanked by two circular towers. The gatehouse protected the entrance of the castle and this is one of the finest examples of its kind in Ireland.
The upper floors were used for comfortable accommodations.
The archeological excavations in 1955 revealed that the castle was surrounded by a ditch, now refilled.

Today only two of the four square towers remain in the southwest and northeast corners, along with the gatehouse, and the ruins of a 17th century building about 50 metres north of the castle.

The castle originally belonged to the Kavanaghs, it was abandoned once in the 14th century, but then it was re-occupied by Donogh Kavanagh.
In the second half of the 17th century it was passed into the hands of the Bagenal family, of nearby Bagenalstown, and in the early 19th century it was given to the Bruen family.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8779015

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter