Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Killamery High Cross
 

County

Kilkenny

Coordinates

N 52° 28' 31.56"   W 007° 26' 45.66"

Nearest town

Carrick-on-Suir

Grid Ref.

S 37636 36145

Map No.

67

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

104

Date of visit

Wednesday 20 June 2007

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The remains of the church and the tower.


Next to a junction on the N76 there's the signpost for a church and a cross. We walked on a muddy track for about 200 metres.
Only three walls and a tower remain from the church and the very high grass stopped us from entering. North of the church there's a very old graveyard and a very nice high cross in the style of the Ahenny ones.
It's 2.90 metres tall, 50 centimetres wide at its base and 40 centimetres thick. The pedestal where it stands on is 70 centimetres tall.
Next to the high cross there's a nice medieval cross slab.

UPDATE: June 21st, 2017 - We were driving towards Callan when we saw the signpost to Killamery church and high cross and decided to make another visit to the site, this time with a better weather.

The church in ruins was built in 1815 over the site of an earlier 7th century monastery founded by St. Gobán. The new church was dedicated to St. Nicholas of Myra and remained in use until the early 20th century.
The high cross stands about 60 metres northwest from the church. It stands on a stepped base and is mainly decorated with interlaced patterns and abstract motifs, though there are some scenes from the Old Testament. The east side of the shaft has three marigolds. Snake-like creatures are depicted on the arms.
The west side of the shaft has geometric patterns and a spiral boss at the centre of the head.
The cross has a gabled capstone and it is said that it was once used for the cure of headaches.
On the lower expansion of the shaft, on its west side, an inscription reads "OR DO MAELSECHNAILL" that means "Pray for Maelsechnaill", who was a High King of Ireland who reigned between 846 and 862.
The cross is 2.73 metres tall, its arms open at 1.17 metres, the shaft is 47 centimetres wide at the base and is 32 centimetres thick. The stepped plinth is 82 centimetres high. The whole monument is 3.55 metres tall.

The first 7 photos in this page are from the first visit.
We visited this place precisely 10 years ago. Isn't that incredible?


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7475633

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter