Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Athlumney Abbey Church
 

County

Meath

Coordinates

N 53° 39' 00.96"   W 006° 40' 35.1"

Nearest town

Navan

Grid Ref.

N 87502 67536

Map No.

42

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

48

Date of visit

Friday 24 May 2019

GPS Accuracy (m)

2
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
   
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the abbey from the entrance of the graveyard.


Southeast from the centre of Navan there's the manorial village of Athlumney. This manor was originally part of a barony granted from Hugh de Lacy to his ally Adam de Feipo.
This neighbourhood of the town include some interesting sites like an old church, a motte and a castle.

Within an old graveyard there's this overgrown ruinous church. It was built in the 13th century by Amauri de Feipo on a land that was granted to him by Adam de Feipo, a relative of his. The church was dedicated to St. James.
All that remains of the rectangular building are the west and east (90°) walls and the central part of the north wall.
The west wall still retains a double bell cot, even if only one light of it is clearly visible. The inner side of the west gable has a gate to what once was a tower. There are three windows in the section of the church, which are splayed even on the outside.

One interesting item within the graveyard is a large grave slab which measures about 2.05 metres of length and 1.10 metres of width. It is known with the name of Cheevers-Gough Slab, and dates to 1692.
It's very worn out, but it is still possible to make out some of the carvings. There's a shield in the centre, decorated with a line of chevrons. Above it there are the coats of arms of the two families. Below the shield there's a skull and crossbones.

It was custom to this graveyard to rest the coffin of the dead and recite the Psalm 130, also known as the "De Profundis", before proceding with the burial.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8765058

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter