Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Berford Cross
 

County

Meath

Coordinates

N 53° 39' 30.78"   W 006° 24' 31.86"

Nearest town

Duleek

Grid Ref.

O 05169 68820

Map No.

43

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

30

Date of visit

Friday 22 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

2
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
  
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The cross seen from across the road. It's behind the flowers.


This cross stands on the left of the R150 going into Duleek from the northeast.
That's its current position, but it has travelled a lot in and around Duleek in the past four centuries.
The cross was erected by William Moore, who was a landowner from Downstown, in loving memory of his wife Thomasina Berford who died on December 17th, 1635, as stated in the faint and weathered inscription across the arms and along the shaft on the northwest (310°) side of the cross, which reads "IHS PRAY FOR THE SOULES OF THOMASSINA BERFORD FIRST WIFE TO BERTHELEME MOUR OF DOWANSTOWNE WHO DIED THE 17 OF DECEMBER 1635".
It was originally erected as a wayside cross in Downstown, about a mile west-northwest of Duleek. Due to a road improvement about a century later it was thought to move it to the Duleek Churchyard, but it was eventually placed behind the Courthouse, where weeds and brambles concealed it. In 1867 the cross was moved to the west gable of the Catholic church where it stayed until 1981, when it was moved the the present position.

It's a Pattee style cross, with enlarged terminals, and stands on a plint with a plaque on the northwest side, which reads "The Berford Cross 1635. Erected on a site nearby by Duleek Historical Society April 1969. Re-erected on this site July 1981".

The cross is 1.35 metres tall, 73.5 centimetres wide at the arms and 21.5 centimetres wide at the shaft, and is 12.5 centimetres thick. The plinth is 67 centimetres tall, to a total height of 2.02 metres.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7433704

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter