Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Killone Abbey (Nunnery) Church
 

County

Clare

Coordinates

N 52° 48' 22.5"   W 009° 00' 15.96"

Nearest town

Ennis

Grid Ref.

R 32277 73281

Map No.

58

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

23

Date of visit

Tuesday 12 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the abbey are at the end of a 800 metres long path. At the very beginning of this path is this building, most likely sort of a gatehouse.


The fascinating ruins of Killone Abbey are situated on the northwest bank of Killone Lake. It is believed that Donal Mor O'Brien, King of Thomond and Munster, founded this Augustinian nunnery for the Canonesses Regular in 1189, at the same time of the nearby Clare Abbey, that is 3.5 km northeast from here. This nunnery was later dedicated to Saint John.
The name Killone comes from the Irish Cill Eoin, "(St.) John's Church".

The ruins are of a nave and chancel church at the north of the complex, an east range building, in rather good conditions, the north wall of the south range, and some poor remains of a west range. Among those buildings is a small square cloister, now used as graveyard.
The chancel too is paved with many grave slabs. The east side of the church has two wonderful round-headed windows. Within the east wall is a mural stair that allows to have a look at the surrounding lands and lake. There's no protection at the windows, so visitors must be very cautious!
The south wall of the nave is missing, but the magnificent south doorway has been spared, and has beautiful floral carvings on all orders.
The church has been built on a sloping ground. To compensate for this slope, under the chancel a crypt was built.

Many, if not all the abbesses of the nunnery were from the O'Brien family.
It seems that the monastic site was dissolved in 1543, and again in 1584. This might suggest that the first attempt was unsuccessful.
Up, in the southeast corner of the external wall of the church, at the roof level, is a carved stone depicting a woman's head.

The church is aligned to the east (85°).


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7477168

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter