Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Carrigogunnell Castle
 

County

Limerick

Coordinates

N 52° 18' 47.76"   W 008° 44' 33.54"

Nearest town

Limerick

Grid Ref.

R 49743 55305

Map No.

65

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

48

Date of visit

Monday 11 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

4
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
  
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The south wall of the castle.


The fascinating ruins of this castle sit on a rocky outcrop overlooking Limerick to the east and the River Shannon to the north.

The first mention to a castle in this area is in 1209 in the Annals of Innisfallen. The area was known with the name of Carriac Ui gConaing. It was granted to the King of Thomond Donnchad Cairbreach.
This current castle might date to the end of the 15th century. It was first mentioned in 1536 when the Lord Deputy of Ireland Leonard Grey, 1st Viscount Grane, marched to a castle called Carekogunyel, which stood on a high rock.

The castle went through many other dramatic and violent events, and in August 1691, during the Second Siege of Limerick of the Williamite War, the castle was taken and blown up with lots of gun powder.

The access to the castle is via a unpaved track from the south. At the end of it there's a dry stone wall and a couple of runs of barbed wire, but the effort is worth it.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7481694

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter