Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Mungret Church of Ireland Church
 

County

Limerick

Coordinates

N 52° 38' 03.18"   W 008° 40' 34.98"

Nearest town

Limerick

Grid Ref.

R 54215 53882

Map No.

65

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

12

Date of visit

Monday 11 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The poor ruins of this church seen from the northwest, with the abbey in the background.


Following the Reformation of the Church in England, the need to have new buildings for worshipping grew in the years.
At the end of the 18th century the abbey used for Protestant worshipping was in disrepair, so the parish started looking for funds to build a new church.
In 1822 Mungret parish received a substantial grant and in 1825 the building of a new church begun. It was designed to hold 100 persons and it also had an octagonal belfry at the west end.
But less than 50 years later the parishioners in Mungret were about ten and the services were only held about 4 times a year.
The church closed in 1877. The roof was removed in 1900, and in 1929 the stonework was removed and used to erect a Catholic Presbitery in Raheen.

Today just a few and poor remains survive, half hidden in the grass.

This building is aligned to the east (100°).


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7469945

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter