Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Franciscan Friary (Grey Friars) Church
 

County

Waterford

Coordinates

N 52° 15' 37.5"   W 007° 06' 24.48"

Nearest town

Waterford

Grid Ref.

S 60975 12455

Map No.

76

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

13

Date of visit

Thursday 7 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

9
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

   
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The west doorway is locked.


This friary, probably the first Franciscan foundation in Ireland, was built around 1241 by the Anglo-Norman knight Sir Hugh Purcell, whose tomb is in the church.
The nave and chancel date from this period. In the 14th century the Lady Chapel was added, and the central bell tower with a stepped parapet was built in the 15th century.
The church also had two halls, a kitchen, a bake house, six chambers, two stables, four cellars, a garden to the east and, to the north, a cloister and the living quarters. There was a cemetery to the south.

The friars of this settlement would wear un-dyed and unbleached cloths, so in its early years the friary was known with the name Grey Friars'.

During the repression of the Irish Rebellion in 1394, king Richard II used the church as a court. And Turloch O'Connor Don of Connaught, one of the last High King of Ireland's descendants, came here to pay homage to king Richard II.
The friary was suppressed in 1540 under king Henry VIII, and five years later Henry Walsh, a local merchant, received the permission from the king to establish a hospital in the nave and chapel. There were two rooms for men and women, and also an altar to say mass for the Catholic widows.

When Prince William of Orange became King of Ireland in 1690, he invited the French Protestants over to Ireland. They were given part of this friary for their worship, that's why this friary is also known as the French Church.

Unfortunately on the time of our visit the church wasn't accessible, so we could only look through the locked gates.
There's a number of wonderful medieval grave slabs set vertically against the north wall.

The building is aligned to the east (90°).


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7473122

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter