Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
St. Mary's Church
 

County

Kilkenny

Coordinates

N 52° 32' 38.16"   W 007° 23' 24.06"

Nearest town

Callan

Grid Ref.

S 41375 43796

Map No.

67

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

77

Date of visit

Wednesday 21 June 2017

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The west side of the church. The tower is all that remains from the original building of the 1250.


In Callan, apart from the famous friary, there's another gem, St. Mary's church, right in the centre of the town.
The church was originally built in 1250's by Hugh de Mapilton who was Bishop of Ossory until 1260.
In 1460 the original church was demolished and replaced by the current one, only the west (295°) tower was saved.
The church has a central nave aligned with the tower and two side aisles with arcades made of four Gothic arches each. The nave is roofless, but the chancel still retains its roof. A south transept is in the chancel. The tower has stepped crenellations.
Unfortunately the church is locked and access is not possible due to safety reasons.
However it is possible to look at some very interesting details.
The south doorway in the south aisle is in the Gothic style and has decorations on both ends of the moulding. On the west end there's an angel whose gown turns into intertwined vines inside a square frame. On the east end of the doorway there's an angel, but in the above square there's a griffin who bites the vine. In the same wall there's a fine two-light moulded window with floreal decorations on both sides.
In the wall of the north aisle the most interesting thing is the round headed doorway. At both ends of the moulding above the doorway there are angels holding a shield. On the east end there's also a bird that looks like an owl. Above the doorway, framed into a square stone moulding, is the depiction of a head of a woman with a hairdress typical of the Tudor era.
Inside the nave, against the north wall, there are some beautiful carved tombs, like the chest tomb with panels carved by the famous sculptor Rory O'Tunney.
In the surrounding churchyard there are some more modern burials, and some old bones are exposed to the sight!


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7467084

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter