Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Fethard Augustinian Abbey Church
 

County

Tipperary

Coordinates

N 52° 27' 58.44"   W 007° 41' 26.46"

Nearest town

Fethard

Grid Ref.

S 21018 35022

Map No.

67

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

64

Date of visit

Wednesday 21 June 2017

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
 
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the north transept seen from the west, with the modern church next to it.


An Augustinian abbey was founded in 1306 in Fethard. As many other monasteries and churches, it was suppressed in 1540. It fell in ruins and it was later replaced by a more modern building in 1823, that is what we see today at the site. This new Catholic church includes some sections of the original 14th century church and 15th century additions, like the chapel south of the chancel and a transept on the north side.
This transept is in ruins, but it retains many fascinating details. The north-northwest (335°) and east-northeast (65°) walls are still standing, the west wall is missing.
On the outside of the northwest wall, eight medieval grave slabs have been placed, standing against the wall. They are decorated with elegant trefoil crosses. The inscriptions along the edges of those slabs are almost gone, it's quite impossible to read them. The northeast wall of the transept had a doorway now partially blocked by a chest tomb. On the inner side of the northwest wall there are two fine memorials, both decorated with coat of arms of the families.
The larger one is under the window and is dedicated to the Baron De Dumboyne, dating from 1640, under the coat of arms the Latin motto reads "Timor Domini Fons Vite" translated as "Fear of God Source of Life".

There are interesting details and decorations on the more modern church building.

In the same complex a sheela-na-gig can be found.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7478340

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter