Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
St. Fanahan's Church
 

County

Cork

Coordinates

N 52° 15' 35.1"   W 008° 15' 50.64"

Nearest town

Mitchelstown

Grid Ref.

R 81973 12039

Map No.

74

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

114

Date of visit

Tuesday 20 June 2017

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
    
    
    
    
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The chancel was the earlier church, then in the 15th century a new and wider section was built to the west.


St. Fanahan founded a monastic settlement at Brigown in the 7th century on a land that the King of Munster granted to him. Fanahan is also known as the Warrior Monk. He was reputed for his huge piety and heroism, but he was also hot-tempered and his fighting skills were appreciated by kings and chieftains. He helped them to settle fights by using his crozier as a weapon.
Brigown comes from the Irish Brí Ghabhann that means "The Slope of the Smith", remembering the seven smiths who forged the seven sickles used by Fanahan to inflict mortifications on his own body for seven years in order to ensure his place in heaven. St. Fanahan died in 665, his feast day is November 25th.
The monastery would include one or more churches and small huts where the monks would work and live, and a scriptorium, a place where the manuscripts were copied. These buildings were made of timber, so they have disappeared.
The present church is from the 11th century, even though some elements were added until the 16th century.
A round tower was added to the monastery around the 10th century, but a lightining hit and damaged it during a storm in 1720, and what remained of it was demolished in 1807 by Rev. Robert Austen, who used the stones from the tower to build a new rectory.
The monastery probably was dissolved after the Norman invasion in 1169, but it retained its function as a parish church for the following four centuries.
Above the south lintelled doorway the base for a high cross has been inserted in the masonry.
Two stones on each side of this cross base are former grave markers from Norman burials.
Another ancient grave slab is set into the wall to the west of the doorway.

By looking at the ruins it is clear that the early church was smaller. In the 15th century a new wider section, the nave, was built to the west and a Gothic chancel arch was inserted in the west wall of the early church that became the chancel. The east walls has massive buttresses on the outside.
The church building was restored in the late 19th century, with major works on the south and north walls. The north wall appears thicker than the south wall. The east (100°) window is from the 17th century.
The west wall of the nave is totally missing, but traces in the masonry reveal that the church had antae on this side.
The church appears in Papal taxation at the end of the 13th century, but it was recorded as in ruins in the second half of the 17th century.
The church was heavily repaired and restored in 1891 by Canon Courtney Moore who also inserted the valuable stones around the doorway in the south wall.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 8331460

Copyright © 2003-2020 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter