Home

Who
What
Where
When
Why
Clonmacnoise Castle Castle
 

County

Offaly

Coordinates

N 53° 19' 31.84"   W 007° 59' 21.14"

Nearest town

Shannonbridge

Grid Ref.

N 00719 30584

Map No.

47

Elevation a.s.l. (m)

52

Date of visit

Wednesday 20 June 2018

GPS Accuracy (m)

3
Show Google Map              Show Monuments in the area

    
    
  
PREVIOUS      NEXT
The ruins of the castle on the motte by the Shannon, seen from the southeast. The earthbank and the ditch around the motte are well visible from here.


When we first visited the Clonmacnoise Monastic Settlement on July 4th, 1994, we also noticed this amazing and eye-catching ruinous castle upon a motte next to Shannon River.
And this time, after visiting the same settlement for the third time in our life, we couldn't leave this castle behind. The only difference is that in 1994 we were able to walk up to the motte and explore the ruins. In the last years a fence has been erected around the motte to prevent people to interfere with the dangerous ruins that are on a precarious balance on the top of the artificial mound.

The original castle on the motte was a timber one, but it didn't survive the Anglo-Normal invasion and was destroyed.
A new stone structure, probably 3 stories high, was built on the same site in 1215 by the De Burgo family. This castle was soon handed to Geoffrey de Marisco, who became Justiciar of Ireland a couple of years later.
Its position was important to guard and control the traffic on the Shannon River and to protect the 120 metres long bridge across the river built in the 9th century.
Around the motte there's a large and deep ditch. A drawbridge would be lowered to cross that ditch.
At the time of the building of the castle, the population of Clonmacnoise was decreasing due to the close town of Athlone becoming more and more important, so the castle as well started losing importance. It was abandoned and subsequently destroyed during the Gaelic Resurgence at the end of the 13th century.

The coordinates for this page have been interpolated through multiple readings around the ruins.

This castle was one of the locations for the movie "Flight of the Doves" (1971), by Ralph Nelson.


Browse by Monument Type
Browse by County
Browse by Date of Visit
Browse by Map Number

A-Z List

Clickable Counties
Clickable OS Maps Grid

Find a Map

Multimap

The days before GPS

The Stones in the Movies

Glossary
Links
Guestbook
FAQ

What's NEW?


Search


Site view counter: 7462117

Copyright © 2003-2018 Antonio D'Imperio
All the photos, the graphics and the texts on this website are automatically copyrighted to me under the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works 1886. Any violation of the copyright will be pursued according to the applicable laws.

info@irishstones.org

Powered by AxeCMS/CustomEngine(V0.25.00 build 999) by Sergio "Axeman" Lorenzetti. (C) 2009-2015

counter